This is a review of the Yeti Tundra cooler.
Meet the original YETI®. The Tundra was born when Yeti took their frustrations with cheap coolers and over-engineered the hell out of them. They ended up creating a whole new category of outdoor coolers with legendary toughness and ice retention. The Tundra comes in enough sizes for wilderness expeditions, hunting excursions, fishing trips, tailgating, or any outdoor adventure.
The Yeti Tundra currently comes in 13 sizes:
- Roadie: weighs 15 pounds, holds 14 cans, 20 pounds of ice
- Tundra 35: weighs 20 pounds, holds 20 cans, 28 pounds of ice
- Tundra 45: weighs 23 pounds, holds 26 cans, 35 pounds of ice
- Tundra 50: weighs 26 pounds, holds 32 cans, 47 pounds of ice
- Tundra 65: weighs 29 pounds, holds 39 cans, 56 pounds of ice
- Tundra 75: weighs 34 pounds, holds 50 cans, 66 pounds of ice
- Tundra 105: weighs 36 pounds, holds 59 cans, 92 pounds of ice
- Tundra 110: weighs 39 pounds, holds 65 cans, 101 pounds of ice
- Tundra 125: weighs pounds, holds 81 cans, 129 pounds of ice
- Tundra 160: weighs pounds, holds 100 cans, 159 pounds of ice
- Tundra 210: weighs pounds, holds 140 cans, 208 pounds of ice
- Tundra 250: weighs pounds, holds 155 cans, 232 pounds of ice
- Tundra 350: weighs pounds, holds 222 cans, 329 pounds of ice
The Yeti Tundra comes in four colors:
- Desert Tan (with Black clasps)
- High Country (Army Green with a Tan lid and Orange clasps)
- Ice Blue (Light Blue with Black clasps)
- White (White with Black clasps)
- Dry-ice compatible
- Virtually indestructible rotomolded construction
- Extra-thick FatWall design and PermaFrost insulation for unmatched ice retention
- LipGrip handles and polyester rope handles make it easier to grab and carry
- Heavy-duty rubber T-Rex latches for secure close
- Freezer-style ColdLock gasket locks in the cold
- BearFoot non-slip feet keep the cooler in place
- Leakproof Vortex drain system for easy draining
- Molded-in AnchorPoint tie-down points help secure it to your boat, trailer or truck bed
- Molded-in padlock holes; when locked, it’s bear-resistant certified
- Full-length, molded-in hinge won t hyper extend or break
- Includes YETI dry-goods food basket
- Manufacturer’s 5-year warranty
What can we even say? Yeti Tundra coolers have widely become known as the best coolers money can buy and we really can’t dispute that. The thing is basically an indestructible brick and it really does keep your stuff cooler longer than other coolers. Everything about the construction of this thing is top notch.
I did get the white cooler which, in my opinion, is the cooler Yeti is most famous for. I thought that also might help the stuff stay a bit cooler, although I doubt that makes much of a difference. The thing about white though is that scratches and dirt shows more easily. I was a bit rough on the cooler and got it a little dirty. That all cleaned up easily enough (btw, you feel bad scratching up your $350 cooler), but I imagine the cooler will look pretty worn out by the time the manufacturer’s warranty runs out in 5 years time.
As for whether it keeps your food cold, it certainly did the job. With other coolers, it seems like the ice is completely melted by the end of day one in the summer (around 80-90 degrees Fahrenheit). The Yeti Tundra still has ice in it after 5 days! I didn’t keep track of how many times the cooler got opened and I tried to keep it in the shade.
Overall, I agree that the Yeti Tundra is a great cooler. It’s pricey, but if you want a cooler that will keep your stuff cold for days and a cooler that can take a beating, then this is probably the cooler for you.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Why are yeti coolers so expensive?
Other coolers are basically plastic boxes. The Yeti Tundra is a piece of engineering that will keep your stuff cold for days and the cooler itself can withstand a beating and should last for at least 5 years.
Are yeti coolers worth the money?
If you want the best cooler on the market; one that will keep your stuff cold for days and a cooler that can take a beating, then the higher price should be worth it to you.
What makes yeti coolers so good?
Three aspects of the Yeti Tundra’s engineering make it special:
- Fat Walled Design: The Yeti Tundra has extra thick walls that hold up to two inches of insulation.
- Rotomolded construction make the Yeti Tundra armored to the core and super strong.
- Permafrost insulation: Pressure-injected commercial-grade
polyurethane foam in the walls and lid
makes sure your ice stays ice.
How long does ice last in a yeti cooler?
It really depends on the cooler, the temperature outside, how often you open the cooler, and the amount of ice you added. For the Yeti Tundra 45, I added the correct amount of ice (35 pounds) and still had ice on Day 4. This was done over four days where the temperature was around 75-85 degrees Fahrenheit. I don’t know how many times the cooler was opened, but it was probably at least 5 times per day. A lot of what I was keeping cool was liquid, which might help to keep stuff colder in the cooler.